Mobile Home Resources

California Department of Housing and Urban Development (HCD) - Office of the Mobilehome Ombudsman


Do you have any of the following questions or concerns?

  • Are you concerned about possible health or safety issues in your mobilehome park like unsafe sewer, water, electrical, or gas conditions?
  • Do you need assistance with the installation, inspection, maintenance, or alteration of a manufactured home, an accessory structure, or park grounds, or have questions as to when a permit is required?
  • Do you suspect unlicensed sales activity by an individual or the park?
  • Do you have a complaint against a licensee alleging fraud, misrepresentation, escrow violations, contract disputes, advertising or non-receipt of title?
  • Do you have a new home warranty question or concern?
  • Do you need information on the Mobilehome Residency Law and where to obtain assistance for lease or rent disputes with park management?
  • Do you need assistance with your mobilehome registration, titling, or ownership documents?
  • Are you seeking compensation for a fraudulent mobilehome sale?
  • Do you have questions on commercial modular lease, sales or rent?
  • Do you need information on local resources available to you?

Mobilehome Assistance Center Poster (PDF)

Visit the Mobilehome Assistance Center here or see below for contact information.



1-916-263-4742 (Sacramento area)

1-800-952-5275 (Toll Free)

1-800-735-2929 (TTD Number)




The Office of the Mobilehome Ombudsman
Mobilehome Assistance Center
California Department of Housing and Community Development
PO Box 31; Sacramento, CA 95812-0031

The Mobilehome Assistance Center cannot mediate or offer any legal advice. For legal advice, contact a licensed attorney or legal aid organization.

Additional Information

Mobile Home Residency Law and Legal Aid/Resources

Source: Senate Select Committee on Manufactured Home Communities

California Tenants: A Guide to Residential Tenants' and Landlords' Rights and Responsibilities (PDF)