Megan's Law Information
The Office of the Attorney General has made Megan’s Law information on Sex Registrants available via the internet. Attorney General's website.
Also as of July 20, 2005, the Justice Department has opened a National Registry of Sex Offenders the public can use to track thousands of offenders across the country via computer. This is yet another tool for the public to use to inform themselves. www.nsopw.gov
How are 290 Registrants Classified
High-Risk Sex Registrants
A High-Risk Registrant is a Serious sex offender who has been convicted of a combination of offenses including a violent sex offense and other crimes. High-Risk status must be determined and verified by the Department of Justice. In most cases, these "High-Risk" sex registrants pose a greater threat of re-offending based on their prior criminal acts. Specific information regarding the identity and location of High-Risk Sex Registrants will generally be posted on this website to provide adequate notice to the public.
As of November 2012, there are 138 High-Risk Sex Registrants living in the City of Westminster.
Serious Sex Registrants
A Serious Sex Registrant is required to register with law enforcement if convicted of:
- Assault with intent to commit specified sex offenses
- Lewd and lascivious conduct with a child or dependent adult
- Oral copulation
- Continuous sexual abuse of a child
- Foreign object penetration
- Child molestation
- Kidnapping with intent to commit specified sex offenses
- Felony sexual battery
- Felony enticement of a child for purposes of prostitution
- Abduction of a child for purposes of prostitution
- As of November 2012, there are 52 Serious Sex Registrants living in the City of Westminster.