Vacation House Checks
Are You Going on Vacation?
An empty house is a tempting target for a burglar. Citizen volunteers will perform vacation house checks for citizens of Westminster free of charge while you are away from your home. Citizen volunteers perform vacation house checks in a marked vehicle and wear identifying uniforms.
Vacation is a time of fun and relaxation. Don't let your vacation be ruined by crime.
SAFETY TIPS Use this checklist to safeguard your home while you are gone.
- Make sure your home looks "lived in".
- Stop mail and newspapers or have a neighbor pick them up for you.
- Use timers for lights and other appliances.
- Install outside motion detectors.
- Keep lawns mowed and watered.
- Hide trash cans.
- Store valuables in a safe deposit box at another location.
- Lock all doors and windows.
- Secure all outside doors with a deadbolt.
- Place a metal rod in the track of sliding glass doors.
- Leave your blinds in a normal position.
When you return from vacation, if you suspect a burglary...
STOP! Don't go into the house! Go to a neighbor's house and call the police at 9-1-1. Wait outside for the police to arrive.
If you would like to have your house checked on while you are gone, contact 714-548-3205 or submit this form to WPD at least one week prior to your departure.