Victim Referral Services
The Westminster Department stresses the enforcement of laws designed to protect the victims of domestic violence, and to communicate the community's attitude that violent behavior in the home is criminal behavior and will not be tolerated.
Domestic Violence Hotline
For information about services in the Orange County community, you may contact the Domestic Violence Hotline at (714) 992-1931 (24-hours) who will provide counselors and referrals to shelters and other specialized services to assist you. For more information on Domestic Violence click here.
Child Protective Services - 1-800-442-4918
Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA)
For information about this volunteer program working with abused children, visit their web site at casaoc.org.
Adult Abuse Service
The Adult Abuse Service (1-800-451-5155) is a County of Orange Social Services Agency service which provides aid in circumstances involving elder abuse or abuse to handicapped dependent adults.
The victim of domestic violence should file a criminal complaint with the law enforcement agency having jurisdiction over the incident. The local police agency will investigate any criminal conduct and file appropriate charges with the District Attorney's Office for criminal prosecution.
You may file suit for losses suffered as the result of the abuse, including medical expenses, loss of earnings and other expenses for injuries sustained and damage to your property, and other related expenses that you or your sheltering agency incurred.
Trauma Intervention Program
For information about this program click here.
For information about Hate Crimes click here.
Orders of Relief
As a victim, you have the right to go to the Superior Court and file a petition requesting any of the following orders for relief:
- An order restraining the attacker from abusing the victim and other family members.
- An order directing the attacker to leave the household.
- An order preventing the attacker from entering the residence, school, business, or place of employment of the victim.
- An order awarding the victim or the other parent custody of or visitation with a minor child or children.
- An order restraining the attacker from molesting or interfering with minor children in the custody of the victim.
- An order directing the party not granted custody to pay support of the minor children, if that party has a legal obligation to do so.
- An order directing the defendant to make specified debt payments coming due while the order is in effect.
- An order directing that either or both parties participate in counseling.
- To obtain information about domestic violence temporary restraining orders, call (714) 935-7956. This is a 24-hour recorded message, in English and Spanish, which will advise you where and how to obtain a domestic violence temporary restraining order. Advocates are available at that number during regular business hours.
Enforcing Court Restraining Orders
If you have obtained a restraining order against the offender and the offender willingly violates the order, he/she will be arrested and, in most cases, taken to jail if still present when the officers arrive.
Community Service Programs, Inc.
CSP Youth Shelter
- Crisis Shelter and Counseling for Youth 11 to 17 - (949) 494-4311
CSP Youth Services
- Juvenile Diversion - Counseling, Restitution and Legal Awareness Workshops - (949) 250-0488
- PATH Program - Substance Abuse Prevention and Education, Speakers Bureau - (949) 757-1096
CSP Victim Assistance Programs
Victim/Witness Assistance Program - Support Services for Victims of Crime
- Santa Ana - (714) 834-4350
- Fullerton - (714) 773-4575
- Westminster - (714) 896-7188
- Newport Beach - (949) 476-4855
Sexual Assault Victim Services
Counseling, Accompaniment, and Advocacy for Victims of Rape and Sexual Abuse
- North Orange County - (714)834-4317
- South Orange County - (949)752-1971
- Rape Crisis Hotline - (714)957-2737
- Domestic Violence Assistance Program - Temporary Restraining Order Assistance Resource and Referral Counseling - (714)935-7956
- Temporary Restraining Order Infoline (Available 24 hours) - (714) 935-7956
CSP Dispute Resolution Services
Conflict Settlement through Mediation - (949) 851-3168
For information about other services in the community contact the following agencies:
- Legal Aid Society of Orange County - (714) 835-8806