Records FAQs

What time is the Police Department open?

The Westminster Police Department provides emergency services twenty four (24) hours.  Call 9-1-1 for emergencies.

Westminster Police Department
8200 Westminster Blvd., Bldg, 5
Westminster, CA 92683

Monday - Friday
Closed weekends and holiday

Our business service counter provides a variety of functions including:

  • Reporting crimes (emergency and non emergency)
  • Copies of reports
  • Subpoenas services for records or officers
  • Citizen complaints
  • Vehicle Releases
  • Parking citation payments

How can I obtain a copy of a Police report?

Copies of crime and incident reports are available for purchase provided you are involved in the case.  You may come to the Police Department to request your report or mail a request to the Records Bureau.  As a courtesy, we provide the "Request for Release of Record" form to aide us in helping you locate and identify the report faster. We have made this form available for download to bring with you to the Police Department.

If you request your report by mail, you will need to send a written request with your case number or as much information as you have to determine which report you are requesting.  It is important to note that we will not mail your request back as we are required to verify your identity  with a valid photo identification before releasing a report. You will be called when your report is available for pick up.

In order to determine the price of your report, you may call the Records Bureau at (714) 548-3218.  The price per page is $.30, and the average length of a report can is1 to 10 pages long.  We recommend having, at least, $10 dollars handy to cover the cost of a report. We do accept Visa and Mastercard.

If you choose to come to the police station to pick up a copy of your report, you will need to bring a driver's license, identification card, or a recent copy of your passport. 

Some reports take approximately 10-14 days so it is highly encouraged to call the Records Bureau to check on the availability of your report at least two weeks before you need it.   Same day service is not always available due to the necessary steps to review the case and, potentially, redact the case from information that may not be eligible for release.

In accordance with the California Public Records Act, some reports are not releasable and your request may need to be reviewed by the Records Bureau.  Our Records Bureau Specialists have ten (10) business days to determine if and when a report can be released.  You will be informed by telephone or mail if we are unable to release the report. 

How can I obtain a copy of my entire criminal record?

Access to criminal history summary records maintained by the California Department of Justice is restricted by law to legitimate law enforcement purposes and authorized Applicant Agencies.  Individuals have the right to request a copy of their own criminal history record from the department to review the information for accuracy and completeness. Requests from third parties are not authorized and cannot be honored by the department. If you would like to review the accuracy and completeness of your own criminal history record follow the instructions listed on the Attorney General’s website.

How can I obtain a copy of my arrest report?

If you were arrested by the Westminster Police Department, you can obtain a copy of the arrest report only after your case has been adjudicated.  Prior to adjudication, you must contact the District Attorney’s Office for a copy.  Some arrest records may contain information that cannot be released or may need to be redacted.  If your report falls under this category, we will inform you at the time of the request what information we can provide you. 

How can I get a civil harassment restraining order?

If you are a victim of harassment you may go to the West Justice Center to obtain a restraining order.  The address is 8141 13th Street, Westminster, CA 92683.  The phone number is (714) 896-7188.

How can I get a restraining order if I am a domestic violence victim?

If you are a victim of domestic violence you will need to go to the Lamoreaux Justice Center to obtain a restraining order.  The address is 341 The City Drive, #C705, Orange, CA 92668.  The Restraining Order Info telephone line is (714) 973-0134.  You may also contact CSP, Domestic Violence Assistance Program for assistance (714) 935-7956.

You will need to plan on spending most of the day at the courthouse preparing the applications, attending the hearing, and obtaining the orders and copies for service.  The process can be done on Monday-Friday and should be started before 9:30am.  Included are links to the Orange County Court system with more information on domestic violence restraining orders.

How can I get a workplace restraining order?

If you are a victim of harassment you may go to the West Justice Center to obtain a restraining order.  The address is 8141 13th Street, Westminster, CA 92683.  The phone number is (714) 896-7188.

How can I obtain property from a vehicle that was towed when I am not the registered owner?

There are two methods of receiving property from a vehicle if you are not the registered owner. 

1.You may contact the owner and have the owner come to the Police Department to sign a release for permission to retrieve property from the vehicle.   

2.If the owner is unable to come to the Police Department, you may have the owner prepare a letter authorizing you to remove your property from the vehicle. 

A list of your property you are trying to retrieve needs to be listed in the letter.  Have the owner include a copy of their driver’s license or California identification with the letter. There is no fee for this service.

How do I get my juvenile arrest record sealed?

Welfare and Institutions Code Section 781 permits persons who acquired records as juveniles to petition the juvenile court to have those records sealed.  Information and documents to initiate this record sealing process are available from the Orange County Probation Department.  You may call (714) 569-2000 to receive more information.

How do I obtain a “clearance letter” to show that I do not have a criminal record?

You must be a resident or at one time resided in the City of Westminster.  You may come to the front counter at the Police Department and present a valid form of photo identification (Drivers License, California Identification, or a passport with a fairly recent photo).  A record check of our computer system will be conducted to determine if you have been arrested by our Police Department.  Copies of our arrest records only go back to 1997 unless the individual was arrested for retainable felony cases.  All other records have been purged and cannot be substantiated with documentation.   We will provide you with a letter regarding your criminal history status in our city.

How do I obtain a copy of a juvenile arrest record?

Orange County Juvenile Court limits access to juvenile court records in accordance with T.N.G. v Superior Court (1971) 4 C3d 767, 94 CR 813, and Welfare and Institution Code Section 827.  Certain reports may be obtained at the Police Department if you are the minor or parents/guardian of the juvenile.  If we are unable to release the report, we will provide you with a form to petition the Orange County Juvenile Court or you may obtain the form from the Juvenile Court, 341 City Drive, P.O. Box 14169, Orange, CA 92613, (714) 935-7000.  

The completed petition can be mailed to the above address or delivered to Juvenile Court Reception on the second floor of the Lamoreaux Justice Center. The Juvenile Court does not accept petitions via facsimile.  After reviewing the petition, the Presiding Judge of Juvenile Court will either grant or deny the request. A certified copy of the petition is then returned by mail to the petitioner if the petition is granted.

I have been ordered by the court to be booked, what is the process?

Court ordered booking is done by appointment only.  To make arrangements, contact the Records Bureau by calling (714) 548-3218 and make an appointment for a "court ordered booking." 

You will be asked pertinent information. Please have your court paperwork handy when speaking to the Records Specialist.   You will be required to bring the court ordered paperwork with you, as well as a valid identification so that it can be signed off and processed per court requirements.