Records FAQs

How can I obtain a copy of a Police report?

Copies of crime and incident reports are available for purchase provided you are involved in the case.  You may come to the Police Department to request your report or mail a request to the Records Bureau.  As a courtesy, we provide the "Request for Release of Record" form to aide us in helping you locate and identify the report faster. We have made this form available for download to bring with you to the Police Department.

If you request your report by mail, you will need to send a written request with your case number or as much information as you have to determine which report you are requesting.  It is important to note that we will not mail your request back as we are required to verify your identity  with a valid photo identification before releasing a report. You will be called when your report is available for pick up.

In order to determine the price of your report, you may call the Records Bureau at (714) 548-3218.  The price per page is $.30, and the average length of a report can is1 to 10 pages long.  We recommend having, at least, $10 dollars handy to cover the cost of a report. We do accept Visa and Mastercard.

If you choose to come to the police station to pick up a copy of your report, you will need to bring a driver's license, identification card, or a recent copy of your passport. 

Some reports take approximately 10-14 days so it is highly encouraged to call the Records Bureau to check on the availability of your report at least two weeks before you need it.   Same day service is not always available due to the necessary steps to review the case and, potentially, redact the case from information that may not be eligible for release.

In accordance with the California Public Records Act, some reports are not releasable and your request may need to be reviewed by the Records Bureau.  Our Records Bureau Specialists have ten (10) business days to determine if and when a report can be released.  You will be informed by telephone or mail if we are unable to release the report.