Social Issues

How do I report welfare fraud?

Please contact the Orange County District Attorney's Office at (714) 834-3600,  or the Department of Social Services, Fraud Bureau at (916) 263-5700.

How do I apply for Welfare?

Please contact the County of Orange, Social Services Agency at (714) 799-7000 or (714) 547-6308.

How do I find out about the quality of senior housing available?

Please contact the Orange County Office on Aging at (714) 567-7500, or (800) 510-2020.

I am a senior; please help me with Medicare, Medicaid paperwork.

Residents of Orange County need to contact CalOptima located at 13300 Garden Grove Blvd.,

Garden Grove, CA 92843.  The phone numbers are:

714-468-1100 or 1-855-785-2584

I am an employer looking for qualified employees.

Please contact the Orange County One-Stop Center, Garden Grove at (714) 241-4900. The office is located at 7077 Orangewood Ave. Ste. 200; Garden Grove, CA 92841

Their website is

I am being evicted.

You may contact Fair Housing at (714) 569-0823 to learn all about tenant rights.

I am disabled and need a ride.

Please contact the Orange County Transportation Authority at (714) 560-5956.

I am disabled and need help.

Please contact the Crisis 24 hour Hotline for the Handicapped at (800) 426-4263.

I am the victim of domestic violence and I need help.

Please contact one of the following agencies:

  • Interval House 24 hour Hotline (714) 891-8121, or
  • Human Options 24 hour Hotline (949) 497-1570, or
  • Women's Transitional Living Center Hotline (714) 992-1939
  • The Sheepfold (800) 799-7233 or (714) 237-1444

I have no food.

Abrazar, Inc.
7101 Wyoming Street
Westminster, CA

Salvation Army
7425 Garden Grove Blvd. #A
Garden Grove, Ca.

American Family Housing
15161 Jackson St,
Midway City 
Will provide bags of groceries upon request

Blessed Sacrament
14072 Olive, Westminster Ca 92683

Calvary Chapel WestGrove
12832 Knott St
Garden Grove Ca 92841
(714) 897-8972

A list of all soup kitchens and days they serve food is available at the Westminster Family Resource Center located at Sigler Park, 7200 Plaza St., Westminster, CA 92683  (714-903-1331).

I need an emergency shelter.

  1. Info Link of Orange County: supplies the most current open-bed count for all the shelters in Orange County 211 (Costa Mesa, CA)
  2. Illumination Foundation: 7855 Katella Ave, Stanton Ca, 90680 (714) 507-2459
  3. Door of Hope: program and shelter for married, two parent homeless families with children; will provide additional information on emergency shelters - 1-626-304-9130 (Pasadena, CA)
  4. Families Forward: not an emergency shelter; transitional living program; family must pay rent -1- 949-552-2727 (Irvine, CA)
  5. Friendship Shelter: assists single homeless women and men; 60 day program; intakes  on Wednesdays -1- 949-494-6923 (Laguna Beach, CA)
  6. Fullerton Interfaith Emergency Services: emergency food, rent, housing assistance, and shelter - 714-738-0255 (Fullerton, CA)
  7. Garden Grove Housing Authority: referrals for homeless and rental assistance - 714-741-5150 (Garden Grove, CA)
  8. H.I.S. House: transitional living program offering no cost shelter to the homeless; 120 day program (wait is 1-2 weeks) - 714-993-5774 (Placentia, CA)
  9. H.O.P.E. : transitional living for abused and abandoned women and their children - 714-539-4357 (Seal Beach, CA)
  10. House of Hope: 12-18 month transitional program for women and children ages 11 and under - 714-247-4341 (Santa Ana, CA)
  11. Interfaith Interim Housing : program for employable adults; emergency shelter -1-949-263-4544 (Laguna Hills, CA)
  12. New Vista Transitional Living Center : transitional shelter for homeless families with children under 18 years old; 60 day program - 714-680-3691 (Fullerton, CA)
  13. New Directions: program for chemically dependent, homeless veterans -1-310-914-4045
  14. O.C. Rescue Mission: emergency shelter for men; first come, first served - 714-258-4450 (Tustin, CA)
  15. Orange Coast Interfaith Shelter: 3-7 day emergency shelter program; transitional living program -1-949-631-7213 (Costa Mesa, CA)
  16. Salvation Army Hospitality House: emergency shelter; line forms 3:30-4:45 daily; up to 7 nights first stay; can return after 30 days. Call - 714-841-0150 (Huntington Bch., CA)
  17. American Family Housing: emergency, transitional and permanent housing; must be eligible to work - 714-897-3221 (Midway City, CA)
  18. Covenant House: crisis shelter and transitional living program for youths 18-21 - 1-323-461-3131 (Hollywood, CA)


I need help with an Alzheimer’s patient.

Please contact the Alzheimer Association of Orange County at (800) 660-1993. It is located at 17771 Cowan , Suite 200, Irvine, CA 92614.

I need information about available Senior housing in Westminster.

The Westminster Senior Center maintains a master list of the senior housing locations in Westminster. Please call the Westminster Senior Center at (714) 895-2878, or stop by the center at 8200 Westminster Blvd.

I need job related advice.

Please contact the Orange County One-Stop Center at (714) 241-4900, located at 5405 Garden Grove Blvd., Suite 100, Westminster, CA 92683.  They are located off the 405 & 22 freeways at the Valley View exit.

Their website is

I need the telephone number of the nearest Department of Employment.

There are three Employment Development Department locations that serve Orange County:

  • Anaheim, 2450 E. Lincoln Ave. (714) 518-2315
  • Mission Viejo, 23456 Madero St. (949) 588-3906
  • Santa Ana, 1000 E. Santa Ana Blvd. (714) 558-4403

I need to find a daycare center for my children.

Westminster residents may contact the Land Child Care Development Center at (714) 898-8389.  Orange County residents may contact Orange County Child Care and Development Planning Council at (949) 548-3194 or (714) KID-CARE hotline.

I would like to get information about after school programs for my children.

The Westminster Community Services and Recreation Department offers an after school parks program at Bolsa Chica, Liberty and Sigler Parks.  Elementary school-aged children can enjoy a variety of free activities in a supervised, positive environment.  The parks are open Monday through Friday from 2:30 to 5:00 p.m.  For more information, please call the WCSR Department at (714) 895-2860.

The Boys and Girls Club of Westminster also offers after school programs.  Please call (714) 379-0097 for further information. 

Is there a Dial-a-Ride service?

Yes, there is a dial-a-ride service called ACCESS. It's provided by the Orange County Transportation Authority.  For additional information, please call (714) 560-5956.

My electricity and/or gas are about to get shut off. Where can I get help?

For financial assistance with your gas/electricity bill, contact the following agencies for available funding:

  1. Community Action Partnership of Orange County (714) 897-6670 (Assistance is once every 12 months)
  2. Community Outreach (714) 637-2085 (Provides one time electric service payment assistance)
  3. Salvation Army (714) 901-1480 (Utility assistance for those who qualify)

Tell me about Section 8 housing.

The City of Westminster provides Section 8 Rental Assistance to very low-income households through the Orange County Housing Authority.  For further information, please call the Orange County Housing Authority at 714-480-2000.

Tell me about the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP).

For further information, please contact Community Action Partnership at 714-839-2983.

Tell me about the Fair Housing program.

The Fair Housing Foundation provides fair housing education, counseling and enforcement services to assist current and potential Westminster residents. The purpose is to provide full housing choice in a community free of illegal, discriminatory housing practices. For further information concerning your renter's and/or landlord's rights, please call 800-446-3247 or (714) 918-8001.

What do I do if I am having trouble filling out my MediCal/Covered Ca application?

Please call the Westminster Family Resource Center at 714-903-1331

Where can I apply for Food Stamps?

Call the Westminster Family Resource Center to schedule an appointment or please contact the Orange County Social Services Agency at one of the locations listed below:

  • 15460 Magnolia St., Westminster Ca 92683-(714) 834-8899
  • 12912 Brookhurst st., Garden Grove Ca 92842-(800) 281-9799
  • 1928 S. Grand Ave., Bldg. A, Santa Ana, CA  92705 -  (714) 435- 5800
  • 6100 Chip Ave., Cypress, CA 90630 - (714) 503- 2200
  • 3320 E. La Palma Ave., Anaheim, 92806 - (714) 575- 2400